About the A+
CompTIA A+ certification demonstrates competency as an entry-level IT Technician.
CompTIA A+ certification validates entry-level skills in today’s essential IT domains, including computer repair, software & operating systems, network administration, information security, cloud computing, and troubleshooting of both desktops and mobile devices. A+ certified technicians also learn customer service & communication skills in order to effectively interact with technical and non-technical employees.
CompTIA A+ certification is an ideal starting point in the learning plan of a new IT professional because:
- The A+ certification exam demands no prerequisite.
- A+ certification introduces candidates to the essential IT domains.
- A+ certification is globally recognized as the mark of a skilled entry-level technician.
- A+ certification is a mandatory hiring requirement for a variety of entry-level IT jobs.
- A+ certification is a requirement or elective in the advanced certification paths of leading technology vendors, including Microsoft, Cisco, Novell, HP, and IBM.
Skills Measured by CompTIA A+ Certification
The key skills and knowledge areas measured by the A+ certification exam. A+ certified professionals:
- Understand the basics of computer and mobile device hardware, software, networking, and security.
- Identify PC hardware, peripherals and network components in a business environment.
- Categorize and explain multiple types of data storage devices and backup media.
- Describe in detail the types and features of motherboard components.
- Know how to follow proper computer safety procedures and best practices.
- Interpersonal communication skills to better interact with peers and customers.
- Setup and manage popular operating systems inc. Windows, iOS, Android, Apple OS X and Linux.
- Install and configure input devices, e.g., keyboards, mice, bio-metric scanners and touch screens.
- Implement a variety of troubleshooting techniques to fix system errors and connectivity issues.
A+ Certification Careers
Help Desk Technician
IT Security Specialist
Health Information Technician
A+ Certification Salary
Average salary for A+ certified professionals and other CompTIA certification holders:
CompTIA A+ salary: $59,000
CompTIA Server+: $63,000
CompTIA Network+: $63,000
CompTIA Project+: $67,000
CompTIA Linux+: $70,000
CompTIA Security+: $72,000
CompTIA CTT+: $74,000
CompTIA Cloud+: $74,000
CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP): $84,000
A+ Certification Prerequisites
- Required: No required prerequisites for A+ certification exam
- Recommended: No recommended prerequisites for A+ certification exam
The CompTIA A+ Core Series requires two exams:
- Core 1 (220-1001)
- Core 2 (220-1002)
Major subject content:
- Demonstrate baseline security skills for IT support professionals
- Configure device operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and iOS and administer client-based as well as cloud-based (SaaS) software
- Troubleshoot and problem solve core service and support challenges while applying best practices for documentation, change management, and scripting
- Support basic IT infrastructure and networking
Configure and support PC, mobile and IoT device hardware
- Implement basic data backup and recovery methods and apply data storage and management best practices
A+ Exam Format:
- Multiple choice, Drag & drops, and Performance-based questions
- Duration: The time-limit for each A+ exam is 90 minutes.
- Length: Exams contain a maximum 90 questions each.
- Exam Cost: A+ test vouchers cost $220 USD.
Passing Grade: 220-1001: 675 (on a scale of 100-900)
220-1002: 700 (on a scale of 100-900)
The life-cycle of CompTIA A+ exams usually lasts around 3 years from launch.