About the Network+
Network+ is a vendor-neutral certification that proves an IT professional’s expertise in managing, maintaining, troubleshooting, installing and configuring basic computer networks.
Beyond its standalone value, CompTIA Network+ certification is the gateway to a range of in-demand IT credentials. Microsoft included Network+ certification in their Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) certification program, and other certifying bodies such as Novell, Cisco and HP recognize CompTIA’s Network+ certificate as a requirement in their career certification tracks.
Becoming Network+ certified is a distinctive step toward a career in networking or telecommunications.
Network+ ensures an IT professional has the knowledge and skills to:
- Design and implement functional networks
- Configure, manage, and maintain essential network devices
- Use devices such as switches and routers to segment network traffic and create resilient networks
- Identify benefits and drawbacks of existing network configurations
- Implement network security, standards, and protocols
- Troubleshoot network problems
- Support the creation of virtualized networks
Network+ certification helps prepare you for a variety of IT job roles including:
- Network Support Technician
- Systems Administrator
- Network Administrator
- Network Engineer
- Network Designer
Average salary for Network+ certified professionals and related CompTIA certification holders:
CompTIA A+: $59,000
CompTIA Server+: $63,000
CompTIA Network+: $63,000
CompTIA Project+: $67,000
CompTIA Linux+: $70,000
CompTIA Security+: $72,000
CompTIA CTT+: $74,000
CompTIA Cloud+: $74,000
CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP): $84,000
- Required: There are no required prerequisites for Network+ certification.
- Recommended: A+ certification and/or 9 months of networking experience or equivalent education
Skills Measured by Network+ Certification
Here are some of the key skills covered in the CompTIA Network+ certification exam. Network+ certified professionals can:
- Manage and troubleshoot a basic network infrastructure.
- Install, operate and configure wired and wireless networks.
- Identify and explain common networking protocols and ports.
- Identify and troubleshoot performance and connectivity issues.
- Install, configure and differentiate between common network devices.
- Describe networking technologies and basic network design principles.
- Adhere to wiring standards and use the latest network testing tools.
- Operate using the best practices in cloud computing and virtualization.
- Understand key cybersecurity concepts and work closely with information-security specialists.
Network+ Certification Exam
Network+ Certification (Exam # N10-007)
- Exam Type: Multiple choices (which may have more than one correct answer), Drag & Drops, and Performance-based questions
- Exam Duration: 90 minutes
- Exam Length: Maximum of 90 questions
- Network+ Exam Cost: $319 USD
- Passing score: 720 out of 900